Waste to Wealth
Waste to Wealth has been a core feature of the work of Living Earth for many years.
The programme has worked with entrepreneurs, local government and slum dwellers living in Cameroon, Uganda, Nigeria and Sierra Leone to help improve waste management whilst creating new jobs and income generating opportunities.
Support for activities has come from a range of donors including the European Union, the UK Government’s Department for International Development and Comic Relief.
Impacts of the programme include the following:
· 840 new jobs created in the waste recycling sector
· 60,000 slum dwellers with improved waste collection services
· Economic growth in the recycling sector, with average 15-30% profit increases per enterprise
· 7000 people making an income from waste recycling streams
· 19 public private partnerships signed with local government
Living Earth is looking to build on this experience to continue developing enterprises that address waste issues while creating commercial opportunities and delivering social impact.